Basal Cell Carcinoma
What Is Basal Cell Carcinoma?
Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is the most common type of skin cancer, accounting for 80% of all skin cancers. BCC most often appears on areas of the body that have the greatest amount of sun exposure. This includes the face, ears, scalp, back of the neck, and back of the arms and hands.
Signs & Symptoms: There are three subtypes of basal cell carcinoma. Superficial BCC appears as a reddish spot or patch with a fine scale on the top, sometimes with a small erosion on the surface. Nodular BCC appears as a waxy or transluscent nodule with a pearly white or brown pigmentation, and possibly fine blood vessels (capillaries) on its surface. Sclerosing (or morpheaform) BCC appears like a scar with poorly defined, blurred borders. It is usually flat with a thinning of the skin.
Prevention: Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is relatively easy to detect and cure rates are excellent, if treated early. BCC can ressemble other skin conditions, so tell your doctor if you notice unusual skin changes, such as:
- a sore that comes and goes but never completely heals or bleeds.
- a shiny bump or nodule, especially if it appears pearly or translucent or brown/reddish like a mole
- a slightly raised pink growth with a crusted depression in the center, possibly with tiny blood vessels visible on the surface
- a patch of skin that is red or irritated, especially on the chest, shoulders, arms or legs
- a white or yellowish waxy scar with poorly defined borders
Treatment options: Your doctor will recommend a treatment based on your medical history and the type of BCC, its size, shape, and location. Treatment options include medications such as 5-fluorouracil and imiquimod cream, curettage & desiccation, cryotherapy, excision, Mohs surgery and laser therapy. The best treatment is early detection. Examination by the trained eye of a dermatologist can help assess whether or not a lesion is a basal cell carcinoma
If you have skin cancer or are concerned that you may have a skin cancer, call us today! 610-789- 7546(SKIN) to schedule a personalized consultation.